A new mix for a new month, and it’s a fierce one from our Japanese compatriot Hironobu Jyounai (PRIMO) who drops in a 45 minute selection of furious jazz gems. Kicking things off with a seldom seen Japanese date from the pianist Mickey Tucker, the mood plunges further into jazz dance territory with Steve Grossman’s ‘Katonah’. The quite simply brilliant ‘Sun & Sin’ follows from the Tommy Koverhults Kvintett before we head to Japan for a quartet of killer tunes from the Takeo Moriyama Quartet, Hitoshi Okano, George Ohtsuka and String Band featuring Isao Suzuki. The tempo eases up a tad with the classic ‘Little B’s Poem’ from Ms Dee Dee Bridgewater before a fitting finale rears its head from Kazuki Watanabe, Katsuhiko Kimura, Takao Okamura and a beautiful modal piece from Hidefumi Toki & The Super Jazz Trio! Certainly not your usual jazz fare, Hironobu-san digs deep!
1. Mickey Tucker Trio – Gettin’ There
2. Steve Grossman – Katonah (1986 version)
3. Tommy Koverhults Kvintett – Sun & Sin
4. Takeo Moriyama Quartet – Sunrise
5. Hitoshi Okano – Vision
6. George Ohtsuka – Who Got?
7. String Band feat. Isao Suzuki – Nica’s Dream
8. Dee Dee Bridgewater – Little B’s Poem
9. Kazuki Watanabe / Katsuhiko Kimura / Takao Okamura – Sublime
10. Hidefumi Toki & The Super Jazz Trio – Pumpkin Doll